Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pigs Are Flying Baby - Everyday!

A friend of mine recently asked my why I keep 
this silly pink pig on the dashboard of my car. 

 It's there to remind me that the "Pigs are Flying"

 It was about two years ago (April 1st -April Fools Day) that I left my job of 16 years to pursue my art full time. I have been painting since I was a child but always saw my art more as a long lost love then something I would be able to devote my days to. But that all changed about two and a half years ago when it became apparent it was time for me to move on from my work situation. I began with developing a web page with my nephew who owns a web business. My Father and Step Mother passed away in a fire just two weeks before I was to launch my page. We postponed the launch for several weeks, allowing ourselves the time we needed to complete the project.

When I first launched the page I thought I would instantly get orders for my art prints. I mean you open a web page and now you have access to the whole world and all the people who like your exact type of art will flock to your page. Right? Well I had a few lessons to learn first - about marketing, social marketing, bookkeeping, computers, art sales and business etc. etc. I didn't realize that I was embarking on a very exciting voyage that was nothing like I expected it to be. I'm still on that journey today and I find it totally engaging and satisfying. I have had a lot of help and support, which without I would not have been able to get where I am today.

Where am I today? Just plugging along happy as can be doing my artwork and trying to get it seen by a few people.

Four years ago I don't think I would have been able to share my work publicly let alone do the things I'm doing. If you would have told me that in four I'd be totally involved with my artwork each day and working seven days a week because THAT'S what I want to do I would have told you, "Yeah and pigs fly."

But you know what? Pigs do fly... dreams do come true everyday. The secret is you have to believe in them and your have to work really hard for them.

And you know what happened after I left my job to pursue my dream? My husband did the same thing just one month later! He's rehabbing an Italianate Home build in 1858.
https://www.facebook.com/MarkGolden.AIA?ref=hl

Are we going to be able to do this for the rest of our lives? I don't know. But I do know that today the pigs are flying! I sure don't want to miss seeing them.

What are your dreams? Is it time for you to see pigs flying too?

No comments:

Post a Comment