Friday, May 1, 2015

Inspired in my Own Back Yard

It was  Dorothy Gale in the Wizard of Oz who said: "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" Okay, she never went to Venice or she wouldn't have said that, but some of it is true.


Most of my watercolor paintings are from flowers in my back yard. I plant them, then photograph them. Gardening is a lot like painting. You choose color combinations, paying attention to textures along the way. You plant all of these in the garden and you don't know for certain how they'll turn out. Much depends on the lighting, the amount of water you use, the temperature, the quality of your materials, your mood and even critters in the area. Just like painting!


So here's some early Spring shots from my garden that I photographed yesterday.


Just goes to show... There's no place like home.









No comments:

Post a Comment