Friday, June 12, 2015

Getting Ready for Plein Air, Fun With Art Supplies

Saturday is a Plein Air workshop with R.L. Webber that I'm so looking forward to. 







While packing for the event I decided it would be fun to share some of my favorite supplies, new and old.




New:
I was excited to find this covered container for my linseed oil at Michaels ($4.99). I'm still using the old one I got 34 years ago in my studio but it's not covered.








Old:
I got this free with an order from Dick Blick Art. It's a great tool by John Pike, a gridded screen with two magnetic strips so you can align the magnets with angles and lines to better help help you understand where thing are crossing on the grid. I always can use some help with perspective. The blue tint makes values easier to see.

 




Old:
I love my Anderson container for turpentine. The top cup is for cleaning brushes. The holes allow the particles of paint to fall to the bottom and settle so the paint sludge never comes in contact with your brushes. It all seals nicely for traveling.






New: 
I bought a paint palette by Artelier that seals and locks in four places. I can't wait to see how this works. I've had many palettes but they never seem to seal very well. Paint is supposed to peal off but I thought I could cut some palette papers in half and use clips to hold them in place. This was $35 at the online stores and Michaels but with a 50% off one item coupon it's not bad.







Old:
My friend, Corkey gave me this hat to use while we walked our dogs on the bike path. She passed away unexpectedly last October so it will be great to have this along for the memories and the sun. I like the straps that hold the hat securely to your head in the wind.
New:
I ordered a wet canvass carrier from RayMar that I just got today. Guess what, it's for panels not canvasses. I'm very disappointed because this is a really cool carrier with straps and everything.


So I decided to get two pizza boxes and strap them together with duct tape. They will work fine and I'll be able to carry my 12 x 12's too it I want. I'm planning on using tacks to keep the canvasses from hitting the sides although there is some nice hardware you can purchase for this purpose. I'll post pictures when I'm done.


So I think I'm almost ready, just pack my easel, chair and I pad. I'll write about how it went next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment