Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Challenged by Plein Air

So, the plein air workshop last Saturday...
              lots of fun but, oh do I have a lot to learn.

I'm so glad that I got the chance to take this workshop with RL Weber. I got my supplies together and and I went with a few expectations about my work and my abilities and got a good dose of humble pie.


Never mind that I don't work in oils a lot, or do landscapes, or even produce a painting in a day - let alone two hours. I felt like a chicken running around with its head cut off. (There were chickens at the barn across the street.)

I did freak a little.  There was one point where I was thinking,"How do you mix brown?" Now I know how to mix brown, but I let myself get so wound up that I wasn't thinking so straight. I was definitely out of my comfort zone. I think that's a great thing! Sometimes you learn the most when you are most challenged.

So I will be practicing this summer. My goal is to try plein air competition one of these years.



RL Weber was a great teacher. He gave me some great pointers, all of which I plan to use in the future. Indian Hills Manor
and the surrounding barns were beautiful and made such a wonderful setting for this workshop.

I'll be back for more. But first, I think I'll practice a bit on my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment