Monday, January 11, 2016

Day 11, January 30 in 30

Day 11, January 11

30 in 30 hosted by Leslie Saeta.

Today's picture is from an oil class at the art guild.
I love oils and want to spend more time working with them so the class just seemed like a great way to see how someone else's process.



Spotted Blue Bird 
Oils 



Before the snow hit the painting.
An interesting thing happened on the way to my car. It snowed. I didn't think a thing about it before, these are oils after all. But if you look closely at the above painting you will see little orange spots all over the painting. It took me awhile to figure it out but I think I know what happened. To prepare the boards, the instructor first painted them with orange house paint that she had around the house. House paints are water based. Then we painted with oil paint on top of that. It's just like salad dressing... oil and water don't mix. When the snow melted and became little drops of water, the water repelled the oil paint.

Actually, I think it looks very interesting. Although you would never want to sell something like this. But the lesson is oil and water don't mix.



HOWEVER, you CAN put acrylics on top of oil paints but never the other way around. Excellent lesson for a Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment