Friday, January 8, 2016

Day 8, January 30 in 30

Day 8, January 8th.

30 in 30 hosted by Leslie Saeta.

Developing my next alcohol ink class for 317 Studio & Gallery. I thought painting on canvas would be a good challenge for those who have taken a few courses with me. I love the way the inks are absorbed into the canvas. They still react to their neighboring inks a bit but not as much as they do on Yupo paper. The result is a painting that has vivid colors but looks a bit like watercolors. I love the high contrast between the yellows and reds - and greens for that matter. This painting is done on gallery wrapped canvas as turning the corner and continuing the painting is so appealing to me. And of course, then you don't have to frame the piece.


Gerber Daisies
Alcohol Inks and Pen
6" x 6"


Where are days 6 & 7? 
Well, I haven't done them yet. I didn't paint in the car and just couldn't move very fast after vacation. Honestly, I'd love a few days on the couch with a good book and a blank canvas with lots of time. Having said all that I am hoping to make up for lost time soon. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. Lol, I just woke up from a little cat nap. I have been feeling behind since day one, and I am finally catching up on my pinning and visiting. I painted with Alcohol inks on a mini canvas last January I think. And I had fun, but I thought it was just me being crazy... didn't really think the two could really go together. What fun! This is gorgeous, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila,
      Painting on canvas with alcohol inks is very different from painting ion Yupo. The canvas absorbs the inks. They don't mix as much as they usually do. The effect is more like having really vivid watercolors. Which works for me since I usually paint in watercolors anyway.

      Delete
  2. This is really striking!!! I would love to find someone up here in NY that gives classes in using alcohol inks. I enjoyed catching up on all your pieces from your trip...love them all! I have fond memories of traveling through that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan,
      It was hard getting back in the swing of things after our trip.Be sure to look on u-tube for alcohol ink demos. There are a lot out there.

      Delete