Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Top Ten Podcasts for Online (and off) Art Business


 
I was always interested in art, psychology, science... never marketing, computer programing and bookkeeping (although I did have a career in a bank for awhile.) So when I decided to leave my day job of sixteen years I never really understood what I would need to turn my love of painting into a full time business. It was about that time that Mark, my husband approached me with an article he had just read. "Hey hon", he said, "Did you know that being an artist is listed as the worst profession anyone could have?" Great! I was screwed! But after examining the article closer it became apparent what the message was. 

Being an artist often isn't profitable because artists are notoriously bad at marketing themselves. Okay point taken. It's hard for an artist to praise their own work and convince others to to invest in it. To be totally honest, I had a web page and an Etsy store along with a blog that I occasionally wrote in, that was good enough right? I actually thought the internet is a big place - those who are interested in my work will seek me out and I will be selling enough to help with my family expenses in no time. "Build it and they will come."  Ha!  After a year and a half I can talk with experience when I say, it takes quite a bit more than that.

I didn't realize that by choosing to produce and sell my art full time I was about to enter an exciting and  challenging chapter of my life. The internet is full of thousands of talented artists trying to make a living. It's fair to note, that for art collectors, this is an incredible time to get really good art at low prices. But for us artists, we need a crash course in marketing, social media, computer programing and bookkeeping. These certainly aren't classes that went along with any art curriculum we received in college, although it should.


I turned to Pod Casts to fill in the huge gaps in my knowledge needed to survive as an artist. So here is a list of some of my favorite podcasts that have slowly taught me what to do. Many times I listen to them while I'm painting, occasionally stopping to take notes.







My favorite Pod casts are; in no particular order

Artist Helping Artists: Selling Your Art On-Line with Leslie Saeta. Every Thursday morning Leslie and her monthly co-host discuss a specific topic that addresses how to sell more art on-line, along with guest artists, gallerists, and others sharing their knowledge of the business side of art. Twice a year Leslie hosts a challenge to artists to paint 30 paintings in 30 days which is well attended. 

Art Fair Artists Success Show: This podcast is less frequent, recording once a month. Connie Mettler shares news and insider tips about the nation's top juried art fairs and craft shows. 
 
Blogging Betties Podcast: Bloger Tips - Social Media Tricks - Blogging Tools. Veteran bloggers Poppy Marler, Tammy Soong and Vanita Cyril discuss tips, tricks and tools for women entrepreneurs and bloggers. Each week they interview bloggers who tell their stories.

Online Marketing Made Easy with Amy Porterfield: "Facebook Marketing All in One for Dummies" co-author and online entrepreneur Amy Porterfield shows you exactly how to monetize your online marketing and blogging efforts using her own tested, Actionable lead generation strategies.

Denise Wakeman, Adventures in Visibility: A twice monthly live video show originally aired as a Hangout on Google +. Designed for online entrepreneurs who want to build a bigger online presence by increasing the visibility of their business across the web.

Oh So Pinteresting Podcast with Cynthia Sanchez: Get the latest pinterest news and tips to use in your social media marketing plan for your business. Cynthia Sanchez interviews social media experts, marketers and business owners to bring you the top actionable tips for success for using Pinterest for business.

Beyond Your Blog with Susan Maccarelli: For those who have dipped their toes in the submitting water and want more, as well as those who are new to submitting their writing to other sites. Beyond Your Blog presents submission opportunities, provides tips and tricks to help your get your writing accepted, and interviews bloggers and editors.

Etsy Conversations podcast- Arts and Crafts -DIY- Online Business- Ecommerce with Ljeoma Eleazu: Get to hear the personal Etsy stories behind your favorite Etsy shops. Get tips, techniques, and tools to make you a better more successful Etsy seller.

 Savvy painter Podcast with Antrese Wood: For fine artists who mean business. Learn how leaders in plein air and landscaping painting got their start along with habits of top artists.  Includes interview with experts in the field about business of art and how it gets created.

Build Your Tribe hosted by Charlene Johnson: Build your tribe- Creating Community - Email List Building - Internet Marketing Social Media. How to create influence that matters and content that creates conversation. Interviews and practical strategies from top internet influencers.

What are your favorite podcasts? Which ones did I miss?  
Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment