Monday, February 5, 2018

February 30 in 30, Day #5

30 paintings in 30 days.

When I do journals I never know what's going to happen. I like it that way... I think it's good for me to be spontaneous and problem solve on the spot. Some of these journals seem to take time between the layers. Time, not just for the paint to dry, but to get away and see it with fresh eyes.

This page had a self portrait that I drew with Conte' crayons several years ago. It wasn't very good but my intentions were to keep it and have the eyes showing or some recognizable face part. I kinda lost it as the layers pilled up. I knew I wanted to use leaf cut outs but I wasn't sure where I was going. It became fitting to use the dragonfly, the symbol of change, metamorphosis, as my face morphed into something else totally different and unrecognizable. I liked the poem. It's from an unknown author. I'm liking using words as an added texture on the paper. I'm drawn to cursive handwriting - something that will be obsolete at some time, as school children are no longer taught it. I like the idea that if any of this survived 50 years or so the journal would have some secret long forgotten language on it. How cool would that be?


Metamorphasis
Mixed Media






3 comments:

  1. Love this!! Like a beautiful memory forest :) the colors, the story behind it, the writing. Sad for sure, that cursive may go obsolete. I wonder how many young people have ever actually written and mailed a letter.
    Beautiful, dreamy work Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is strange to think some have never mailed a letter. Pen pals were one of my favorite things about growing up.

    ReplyDelete