Thursday, April 23, 2015

What Mediums do You Work In?

It felt good to do some watercolors yesterday.
The slower pace of the watercolors felt comforting. I had to resist the temptation to start an acrylic abstract - inspired by something I saw on Pinterest. There's a lot of pieces to do before the May 16th show in Riverside and I'd better get to it.

Work in Progress
Question of the day.



Do you work in more than one medium?
(Dee Santorini asked me this question a month ago.)
Yes, I love going back and forth between watercolors, pastels, oils, alcohol inks and pen and ink. I guess it has a lot to do with my mood. For instance, I just finished a watercolor which typically takes a long time and is a very slow process. Today, I want to celebrate by doing something fast and somewhat out of my control. I’ll work on a commission, a pet portrait in alcohol inks and paint colors freely and figure it out as it goes. Typically, if I’m craving control I’ll go to pastels or watercolors.  If I want freedom I’ll do alcohol inks. If I want to feel artsy and challenged I’ll do an oil painting. If I want something low key and safe I’ll do a pen drawing.  




 
What mediums do you work in? 

Do the mediums evoke certain moods in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment