Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 12, Acrylic,Greenwood Chapel

30 in 30 hosted by Leslie Saeta.


This year marks the Rockford Art Guild's 60th anniversary. One of the celebrations planned is a traveling show of 60 canvasses painted to honor Rockford. I am painting two of those and thought the 30 in 30 would be a great way to get it done - no procrastinating here. This is my first one.



Greenwood Chapel
Acrylic
8" x 8"
NSF

The Greenwood Chapel was designed by Chicago architect Henry Lord Gay and was built in 1891. Have I mentioned that I love cemeteries? I do. I don't know if it's the love of genealogy, or psychology or just that my Mother loved cemeteries too. But, I find them terribly interesting. My Aunt Dorothy gives a historical tour of the Devereaux cemetery pointing out the many relatives who are interned there. I was able to find most of the past owners of the Union house that my husband is renovating just a few blocks away in the Rockton cemetery.

I made a decision while doing this painting. I really don't care for acrylics. The colors are dull and they dry so fast that there is no time to blend neighboring colors on the canvas. I think they are great when one is trying to do a painting in one sitting and will continue to use them through out the 30 in 30, but now I know - back to my oils.




No comments:

Post a Comment